Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Things seemed to be going incredibly well for a while. I had recently graduated, run off for the summer on my very first roadtrip (which came crashing down around our ears when I...er...crashed the car. But let's not quibble over details), and had come home to intern at a magazine I'd dreamed of working for since forever. Le Boyfriend and I couldn't have been happier, sushi and open bars seemed to be the order of the day when going out with friends, and I had another internship (a paying one this time, thank you to the God of Cash Flow) lined up for my return from a two-week sojourn in Jo'burg, where I got to wake up at ten, watch Sex and the City all day and finish a bottle of red wine a night with the delicious Boyfriend.
I should have known the gods were just lulling me into a false sense of security. The bastards.
Return from Jo'burg. Best Life magazine - of the paying internship loveliness - has folded. Fuck the recession.
Unemployed for a month now, and living with my parents.
Decided to ignore my serious lack of funds and go for sushi and cocktails on Sunday night with Noodle and Darling. Forgot to book, and waited an hour for a table. Decided to make the best of the situation by horribly embarrassing myself. Laughed and swallowed some PappySuckle Vinotini (I know...wtf?) at the same time, resulting in a lovely ten minutes of hacking coughing, frantically begging the none-too-interested barmen for water, and trying not to let my tears (of laughter? pain? I'm not even sure really) ruin my eyeliner.
And then at gym this morning had to deal with the shame of dying of exhaustion while the countless middle-aged moms surrounding my mat put me to shame doing crunch aftter crunch after crunch.
Something's gotta give.

1 comment: