Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Finally getting into the swing of using my hooter

There are a few things on the streets of Cape Town that really (excuse the horrible pun) grind my gears, all of which I have encountered in the last few days:

1. Carguards/random street people who step out into the street in the dark so that you have to slam on the brakes and/or swerve to avoid hitting them and going to jail for culpable homicide or whatever screwed up law is on their side when they are so clearly in the wrong. It's happened to me no less then three times in the last week, and only half an hour ago I came close to ending a drunk bergie's life, or at least his legs, when he toppled off the pavement inches from me turning a corner. Used my hooter.

2. SUV drivers who come flying over stop streets, safe in the knowledge that, hey, if there was a car coming along, they'd come off second best anyway. Some dude in a double-cab hopped a stop sign into oncoming traffic (me) yesterday on my way to gym. Used my hooter.

3. Seapoint taxis. No need to explain. I can't drive to Noodle's place without my fingers getting cramps from gripping the steering wheel for dear life as these maniacs go flying up and down. I'd use my hooter, if I wasn't afraid of the possible ensuing of taxi violence.

4. People who think indicators are pretty flashing Christmas lights and, for instance, indicate they're turning but carry on straight, resulting in a near collision with the person pulling into the road who assumes (oh such naivete) that a right hand flashing indicator indicates one is turning right. Used my hooter.

5. Inconsiderate idiots who decide they can't possibly go around the block but must have the parking space currently being vacated on the side of a busy street, resulting in a ten-car pileup on uber busy Rheede Street while they wait for the guy to leave and then perform a leisurely attempt at parallel parking that holds up traffic for a full five minutes.

And yes, I know I may not be the world's greatest driver. But really now, with these idiots on the road, I think I deserve a gold star for pausing at stop signs and having fully grasped the complex science of Using Your Indicator.

No comments:

Post a Comment