Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Oscar Wilde said that fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months.
Well.
This is usually the only one of the great man's epigrams that I disagree with, but of course I was thinking fashion in terms of Chanel, Marc Jacobs, D&G and all their fab friends.
However, when it comes to further down the fashionable food chain, I'm inclined to agree with Mr Wilde. And there's nothing worse than a trend that won't die.
I understand that not all fashion can be couture. And I understand that what we ubiquitously refer to these days as 'street style' is an important form of expression and creativity - one that couturiers frequently imitate rather than the other way around. But I'm going to be a traitor to my generation of Cape Town Cool Kids, and give the finger to weareawesome.com and Kloof Street style by saying:
Skinny jeans must die.
On guys that is. On girls, they're still hot. Even on girls who aren't skinny. But boys, please put them away. Or better yet, burn them. Yes, they were fun for a while; who didn't enjoy seeing their guy friends unable to bend over - or possibly ever procreate - because of the ridiculous toightness of their pants? But now they're over. I don't care if you're in a garage rock band (and I mean that in the sense that you practise in your mum's garage), stop wearing your girlfriend's jeans.
Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment