Saturday, August 15, 2009

Just another Friday night

So bumped into somehow I knew from high school last night (yes that's right, I actually ventured out into the big wide world, which means I'm not really a hermit right?).

She looked vastly different, and I nearly didn't recognise her, even though for a few of my formative years we were what you could loosely call friends. She's always amused me...

Me: 'Oh my God your face is so much thinner, I nearly didn't recognise you! (Not my best opening line, I'll admit, but I was taken by surprise.)
Her: Yeah, it's because I'm not throwing up anymore.

And then we passed the next ten minutes catching up, not skirting around her months-long stay in rehab, her recent epic breakup that followed on the heels of him and her buying a R 1.5 million house cash up-front (suspicious boyfriend character much?) and her subsequent relapse onto the hard stuff (read: stuff you use with needles).

Now, I'm never sure how much of what I hear from this dear old friend is true. If half of these random chats we've had over the years have contained actual fact, she could sell the rights to her life story to Hollywood as a grown-up, no holds barred version of that movie Thirteen.

What I love about her is her total heart-on-her-sleeve candidness. Sure it probably makes some people feel awkward, but you can't have a boring chat with the girl. Maybe I'm being cavalier about something quite tragic, but so is she, so it feels quite harmless. And with such larger-than-life confessions being spilled into the night air, it makes it easy to let off a few of your own, which suddenly seem completely trivial and/or manageable. It's a great release...

No comments:

Post a Comment