Friday, November 6, 2009

So we made a cameo (ah! the self-importance!) at Night of 1000 Drawings at the Word of Art Gallery last night. Pretty cool evening, what with all the art and arty people and art-tractiveness swilling about (seriously...how did Cape Town manage to produce so many gorgeous people?). Didn't buy a doodle, but possibly was only saved from that particular impulse spend by the fact that, by the time we actually arrived, all the good ones had been snagged by early birds.

It's kinda cool how well the Cape Town art scene is doing, even though I think a large portion of people who go to these things show up to see and be seen (so really, it's exhibitionism at its best then isn't it?).

Something else I'm quite excited about is PaperGirl coming to South Africa. Give it a click.

So anyway, The Vixen was there last night. This is a girl I sort-of-kind-of know, a friend of a friend of Boyfriend's who I've seen out and about a couple of times. The last time we saw her, it is my personal opinion (which, fine, may have been somewhat vodka-clouded, but still in good working order) that she ignored me completely and lavished all the talents of her big bambi eyes and pouty mouth upon the unsuspecting Boyfriend.

Now, I am not a jealous girl by nature (a sense of pride and all that). But when an exotic beauty sets her sights on your other half ... well, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

Which includes pretending not to know the beeyotch at all following social encounters.

It's a well-practised manoeuvre: return her warm smile with a half-hearted (but still congenial – this is important) one of your own, combined with a slightly confused look, as if to say, 'I am ever-so polite, in the manner of Grace Kelly, and am therefore returning your friendly greeting but I'm so sorry dear, you are just far too unimportant for me to remember who you are.'

Okay, so no, in all honesty this whole mean girl thing freaks me out and ruins my evening, and it's not exactly a part of myself I'm proud of (or practised in, just by the way). But, well...every now and again I have to remember that I am a female, and play by the rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment