Saturday, February 13, 2010

An existential crises

Lately I've been feeling more than a little lost, like I missed some very important meeting where the universe handed out instructions to life, so that while everybody else seems to be in perpetual forward motion, heading towards their shiny dreams and goals, I keep walking in circles going past the same tree again and again and thinking, 'Hey, that looks familiar'.

The whole 'the world is your oyster' thing leaves me feeling paralysed. Shellfish poisoning probably. I'd much rather it was my yellow brick road, my looking glass, my wardrobe.

Instead, I find myself at a point where rather than jumping into everything with both feet, I dip but a toe into that paddling pool we call life then step back, having suddenly forgotten how to swim.

If Kierkegaard was right, and we're all responsible for giving our own lives meaning, and living those lives with passion, then I must be very, very behind.

Everyone I know seems to know something about something. Boyfriend can pretty much build a car from scratch (and that's not even his day job). That Ulanda Girl knows the difference between an Alexander Wang and an Alexander McQueen. Miss Lane is so passionate about music, she bought an old record player just so she could listen to Bob Dylan 'properly'. In fact, all my friends seem uniquely talented or smart or gifted in some way ... so where did I get left behind?

Maybe it's time I got a hobby. Suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment