Friday, March 5, 2010

Some creepy things...

Trying to keep myself culturally informed this week, since I tend to fall behind the times quite often. However, after this little lot, I might go back to burying my head in the sand...

Lulu Xingwana, how could you? With one little temper tantrum, this ignorant woman threw the constitution – most specifically the bits referring to freedom of speech and the rights of gay couples – right out the window. Should someone so small minded really have anything to do with arts and culture? Then again, given our late health minister's solution to the Aids problem, we shouldn't be surprised.

Then, advertisers seem to be taking things a leeeetle too far these days. The latest way to punt your products? Pay kids to talk about them in the playground. These little soul-sellers need to be smart about their tactics, mind you. Apparently, anything sounding 'rehearsed' is bad. Kids are instead supposed to 'look for natural opportunities to drop it into conversation'. Scary.

All ridiculousness aside, sometimes things in the world make me so very, very sad to be a member of a race capable of such atrocities against each other. I hadn't heard about the practise of vitriolage (don't click this link if, like me, you're a bit of a sensitive person) before this week (head, sand, ya know), and I wish I could go back in time and not have watched BBC the other day. It disgusts me. And the savage sense of justice I feel at the retribution finally taking place disgusts me even more, only, with myself.

(Sorry for the enigmatic-ness of that – didn't want to ruin anyone's Friday accidentally. Though you have the free will to clicky clicky if you'd like.)

On a happier note, I try not to discuss South African politics ... well ... ever (because really, what's the point?) but I have to say, go Vavi!

No comments:

Post a Comment