Wednesday, September 29, 2010

B is for Breadless! (Which is what I've been, and plan to be for the rest of, this week.)

6 kg from goal weight

Possibly my toughest challenge yet. I love bread in a Big Way. Most people who know me know that if I were on death row, I'd request a nice slice of toast with Flora as my last meal.

My family has teased me for years about my addiction. I love bread in the way some people love chocolate, or bacon, or, say, their children.

I love fresh bread. I love toast. I love croissants. I love bagels. Ciabbatas, baguettes, rye, seedloaf, white bread – hell, I'll even include banana bread, despite the fact that the fruit itself is anathema to me. If I had to choose one meal to eat for a year, it would not be chocolate (close second) or pizza or (christ almighty) salad, it would be bread.

Get the picture?

In my opinion – and I don't want to offend anyone who subscribes to organised religion here but – there's a reason that the Catholic Lord's Prayer says, 'Give us this day, our daily bread...'

The problem is, because I love it so much, it's pretty much my fallback meal, which means I am seriously lacking in the nutirtion stakes. Lunch is usually toast with avo, cottage cheese, regular cheese or peanut butter or Marmite (depending on how far gone the month and the money is). Dinner in winter was quite often soup with a slice of toast. On weekends, breakfast – toast.

Therefore in order to challenge myself to change my woeful eating habits (the whole point of this crazy week by the way), I am nixing the bread and trying to come up with other alternatives.

And just by way of a round-up, I survived yesterday's A day thus:
4 cups of tea (give a girl a break)
3 bowls of all-bran
2 Granny Smith apples
1 large handful of almonds

Not bad?

No comments:

Post a Comment