Wednesday, July 8, 2009

So before I even start writing this I know everyone who reads it will roll their eyes and/or hate me.

But I shall proceed, undaunted.

I had a horrible day yesterday...like, well awful. And for no real reason either. Wrong side of the bed kind of day I suppose. Anyway...

Two things made me feel better about the world today.

First thing...was watching Miss Naked Beauty on BBC Lifestyle last night (for the first time I might add and only because I was trying to escape the ridiculous Michael Jackson funeral circus on every channel). I know, I know. Just about everyone else either cringes or laughs at it. After all, it is a bunch of 'unconventional beauties' (read, homely) parading themselves naked and natural (no makeup) and championing a less airbrushed, less underweight, less generally perfectionist kind of beauty. But for some reason, I shelved my cynicism for forty-five minutes last night and really admired those girls for their effort (and the sheer bravery it must take to display yourself au naturel on national television...when you don't look like a Sports Illustrated covergirl that is). It gave me the warm and fuzzies in an everyone-is-beautiful kind of way.

Of course, this morning, it's back to my GHD, the gym and general striving for skinniness. But you get my point I'm sure.

Secondly, was on my way home from gym this morning, driving up my ridiculously steep hill (seriously, we're talking like a 70 degree incline here) and for a change the car coming in the opposite direction was not some asshole in a Porsche Cayenne (what a stupid name for a car) forcing me off the road so that I have to pop a hill start halfway up. Instead, the nice guy in his old citi golf pulled to the side to let me pass, and when I waved a thank you he smiled happily and waved back. The sun was shining, I'm sure somewhere birds were singing, and I caught myself thinking about how nice the world would be if everyone was just friendly to one another.

Yes, yes, it was all very John Lennon. And I quickly reasserted the natural order of things by reminding myself that
a) the happy feelings were probably only endorphins being released after twenty laps in the Virgin Active pool
b) for all I know the citi golf guy is a child molestor. Or he had a body chopped up in the boot and was trying to allay suspicion.

Still...imagine all the people...

No comments:

Post a Comment