Friday, March 12, 2010

Moving to Switzerland...

Not really. It's just my mental escape-to place.

Aside from the snowcapped mountains and chocolate (mmmmmmmmmmomentary distraction), I like the fact that these people are best-known for their watch-making skills. How patient and quiet and organised do you need to be as a populous that your claim to fame is watch-making?

And the fact that you have to apply to the city council to paint your house a different colour, so they can establish whether it'll fit in with the colour scheme of the rest of your street.

This is where I imagine myself living out my days, quietly and with chocolate, whenever my world gets too much.

Like now, when every day this week I find I have to fight to believe in the human race. It's like that scene in The Fifth Element when LeeLoo considers not saving mankind because of what a scourge we are – on the Earth, on each other, just in general really.

'Cept there's no Korben Dallas here baby...

In what kind of world is a father coming home to find his little girl dead, raped and with her hands cut off just another news story? Why do people hack up a village or three of women and children, ostensibly just because?

Hate to be dramatic, but this shit is killing me lately.

3 comments:

  1. That story was so shocking to read this morning - so sad :(

    Switzerland sounds like a nice place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been there apart from in my mind. Iceland is my other run-away-to place, in case you ever need to borrow one. Plenty of room for both of us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Switzerland is a beautiful place...I've been there and loved it. But not sure I could ever call it home - there's something magical about Africa (without all the violence and crime of course).

    ReplyDelete