Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Went to Pilates this morning.

No I didn't.

I went to Bend it Ma Bru.

Virgin Active has jumped on the soccer bandwagon with the rest of the country, and has added a twist to some of its classes to help members kick it up a gear during the month of the World Cup.

There's the not-as-exciting-as-it-sounds Streaker Training (toning and tightening so you look great should you decide in a flight of fancy to shed your clothes and dash across a pitch naked at any given time), Supa-Socca Circuit (some sort of forty-minute, non-stop, super-circuiting madness) and this morning's Bend It Ma Bru ('Learn to enjoy compromising positions').

Well, I'm broken. I was all ready to spend 6-7 am on my back squeezing my pelvic floor muscles (or as Aussie Amber from Monday morning's class calls it, my 'pee-hole'), but instead Helen, our instructor, whipped out a combination of Pilates, yoga and Tai Chi (yoga-la-chi? chi-pila-gah? I forget).

If I sound negative it's only because of the effort it took to raise my hands to the keyboard and type this. The class was challenging to say the least (at one point I collapsed out of my plank and whispered feebly to my mat, 'Please, no more, no more...') and my body's filing formal complaints, but if endorphin levels are anything to go, then it was definitely worth it.

Hands-down favourite has to be the Tai Chi prone flying bird. I'm just going to leave that one to your imagination.

That's my third gym session this week by the way, and it's only Wednesday. Boo-yah!




(No, I can't believe I just said that either.)

1 comment: