Friday, August 6, 2010

Saw the most annoying ad while midway through my morning ritual of Hi-fibre Bran and The Times.

Absa's launching a new car finance website aimed specifically at women. Why? Apparently, to make things 'super simple' for us, and it'll have all kinds of helpful information, like hints on how not to scuff the heels of your favourite shoes while driving.

Excuse me? Did I accidentally board a time machine and get flipped back to the 1950s?

I'm sorry, but what the fuck? I don't want to get all feminazi on you this morning, but hands up now, which independent female out there applying for car finance would like a nice big serving of patronising to go with her competitive interest rate?

I stared at the twee little pic of (okay admittedly wearable) high heels next to the copy and just couldn't help thinking, 'How dare you assault my subjectivity like this?' (which unless you've read Irigaray or spent any time with Natasha Distiller won't make too much sense I know, but you get the gist).

Grr I say. Grr grr.

The site goes live on 20 August, so I guess we'll have to wait till then to see just how badly Absa has fucked this one up.

1 comment:

  1. OMG Natasha Disteller! I remeber how i used to sit in those lectures thinking WTF?

    ReplyDelete